How to thin a small lotus bog?

catherinet(5 IN)September 18, 2013

Sure isn't anything happening on the bog forum.

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank that is sunk into the ground and filled with soil, with about 8" of water on top.

I've had a lotus in there for about 7 years. I have recently realized that I should be fertilizing it alot more than I do.
It didn't make any blossoms this year, but made a ton of aerials. Does that sound more like a fertilizer problem, or an overcrowding problem?
If it is overcrowding, how do I thin it? Can I just yank out some of the stems and hope that tubers come with it? Or should I lay on the ground and stick my hand down in the mud and feel for tubers, and pull them??

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdavis(z7b nc)

Overcrowding would over time end up with a tub of dead and spoiling old plants inhibiting new growth

A strong jet of water might be effective to blast the mud away from the young new tubers among the gnarly old stuff, careful not to damage the vital growing points

By feeling the shape where the tubers are, you will have fun finding two tubers with a growing part and delicately winkle them out

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks sdavis.
I hate to think we would need to empty out 300 gallons of dirt and start over. I was thinking we could just start pulling some things out, to leave room for the others.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™