How to thin a small lotus bog?

catherinet(5 IN)September 18, 2013

Sure isn't anything happening on the bog forum.

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank that is sunk into the ground and filled with soil, with about 8" of water on top.

I've had a lotus in there for about 7 years. I have recently realized that I should be fertilizing it alot more than I do.
It didn't make any blossoms this year, but made a ton of aerials. Does that sound more like a fertilizer problem, or an overcrowding problem?
If it is overcrowding, how do I thin it? Can I just yank out some of the stems and hope that tubers come with it? Or should I lay on the ground and stick my hand down in the mud and feel for tubers, and pull them??

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdavis(z7b nc)

Overcrowding would over time end up with a tub of dead and spoiling old plants inhibiting new growth

A strong jet of water might be effective to blast the mud away from the young new tubers among the gnarly old stuff, careful not to damage the vital growing points

By feeling the shape where the tubers are, you will have fun finding two tubers with a growing part and delicately winkle them out

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks sdavis.
I hate to think we would need to empty out 300 gallons of dirt and start over. I was thinking we could just start pulling some things out, to leave room for the others.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
How to Make THE Floating Island
Floating Islands are very expspensive. The size I wanted...
goodkarma_
Inspiration and help sought - turning a 12,400 gal pool into a pond.
I'm fed up running my pool; expenses plus my wife and...
stewall
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
Sara_in_philly
ewaterlily.com going OOB $8 per waterlily
A good chance to buy some nice hardy waterlilies. ...
nomadh
Sponsored Products
Le Flore Runner 2' x 8' - BURGUNDY
$159.00 | Horchow
Rose Cast Aluminum Curved Loveseat Bench - Antique Bronze - 90038
$159.98 | Hayneedle
Walters modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Juli Satin Nickel One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy Cabl
$292.50 | Bellacor
New Modern Collection Persian Ikat 9'x12' Hand Knotted Earth Tone Wool Rug H3616
BH Sun Inc
Mini T Fireplace by EcoSmart Fire
$1,490.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™