Limegreen upright evergreen shrub

crystalhollyJune 26, 2009

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a very specific shrub and and not even sure if it exists, but I thought I'd try. I am looking for a lime green evergreen shrub (or small tree even) that grows about 3 ft wide and 5+ ft tall. I need it to ground and bring together my blue and purple garden. My bed gets full sun and faces south. I'm an in zone 7. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Try Philadelphus coronarius 'Aureus'.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:42PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

OP wants evergreen.

Juniperus chinensis 'Aurea' or 'Gold Coast' comes immediately to mind for that shape.

Dan

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:49PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Aurea' is a tree form cultivar prone to sunburn and rare in commerce here. Gold Coast is a Pfitzer juniper, with the typical low habit. 'Gold Cone' common juniper might be acceptable, although mine has started to fall apart after some years of growth - this seems to be chronic with conical forms of common juniper in my climate.

There are many yellow forms of other popular conifers such as Hinoki and Sawara cypresses in nurseries. Many are brassy yellow and/or prone to some sunburn. But a visit to a favorite outlet with a good selection might result in one being found that appears to suit.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 3:31PM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

Good choices above. Just to give you some options, an abelia might fit the bill, although they tend to grow wider than tall. But with pruning you might make it work. I have an abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope' that looks fantastic all year long, with flowers the butterflies use in summer (mine are not really fragrant as is sometimes advertised). It has variegated lime green/yellow foliage that has red and white in it as well, and changes color when I water it for some reason.

My 'Frostproof' gardenia has lime-green new foliage that quickly matures to a dark green. So it's not lime-green year round. But it is evergreen, very fragrant in summer bloom, and reliably hardy in zone 7 if you get it in the ground in early spring to get established before first freeze.

The other suggestions are better. =)

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 8:24PM
EGO45(6bCT)

Somewhat rarely seen in commerce (at least here in CT, even in a better nurseries) Golden Fastigiate Yew - Taxus baccata 'David' (sometimes listed as T. baccata aurea 'David' or 'Davie') perfectly fits your requirements.
Very slow growing, therefore 3-4 foot specimen may cost some hefty chunk of money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Fastigiate Yew

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
Edgeworthia chrysantha never fully blooms?
I planted my edgeworthia about 2 years ago. Last year...
chueh
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™