No viburnum flowers this year

efeuerJune 18, 2014

I have a pair of viburnum nudum-Winterthur and Moonshine. They were planted in the fall a year and a half ago and had a few fruit on them. The next spring they bloomed, but this year nothing. They appear to be perfectly healthy. They are growing in some significant shade, though. I moved Winterthur out to a slightly sunnier spot last fall, but Moonshine is still getting quite a bit of shade. Fothergilla bloomed great at this location this spring. I'm not sure if shade is the problem or whether it could be something else. Did anyone else have trouble this year? We had a ton of snow.
Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
efeuer

A photo in happier times. Last spring.
The one nearest the tree is the one I moved out. It is now to the right of its companion. It would be just out of the frame of this photo.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:46AM
cearbhaill

It was a strange winter.
I'd not worry unless it happens again next spring.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:45AM
green_go

Both of my doublefile viburnums bloomed only on the lower branches that were below the snow line. Some of the top branches were dead or didnâÂÂt flower.
My snowball viburnum, however, did well and had more blooms than ever- it survived the harsh winter without a hiccup. Same with Viburnum trilobum , Viburnum carlesii and Viburnum dentatum Blue Muffin - looks like they are very hardy fellas.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
Loropetalum issue
Hi- I'm posting again about another shrub at our new...
hafamily5
Will nandina firepower old leaves constantly change color with season?
I want to plant some of these firepower shrubs. I know...
tlbean2004
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™