From a field to a tropical oasis :)

pcanSeptember 26, 2013

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have logged in here. I hope all your ponds are doing wonderful and your fish are happy :)

I put together this series of pictures I thought I would share of the yard/pond through the years. :) All from the same vantage point

July 2008

Winter 2009

Spring 2010

Summer 2011

Summer 2012

Summer 2013 (5 years later) :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike56(7a)

Very nice conversion of outside waste land to outdoor living space but I cant see your pond:-( Looks great!

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 9:42PM
Craigger7

Wow what a transformation, it just goes to show what you can do with will power and vision. Yes please submit a picture of your pond. I think I can make out a water fall in the background.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 3:03AM
pcan

:) Here is the pond.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 8:36AM
Mike56(7a)

Wow! Great looking pond too. You have a real talent.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 3:46PM
Craigger7

Very nice, is that a floating planter island in the center? I did one with water mint last year. The plant was way too evasive. I had it next to the shore line in a foot of water. Within a few months my fish could not swim under it any more for cover. The root system attached itself to my bottom gravel and spread everywhere.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 7:23PM
pcan

Thank you!

Yes that is a floating planter. I used a sheet of the pink insulation foam from HD. Cut the shape with a jig saw and sanded the edges smooth. That pink foam cuts and sands much better than styro foam. I cut large holes in it for pots and small holes for bare root plants. The plants have been trial and error really. The lemon grass is planted in it bare root and wintered over fine. There is creeping jenny around the edges that has survived a winter but has not become invasive. I think the koi keep the roots trimmed too much for it to get out of control. I have tried different annuals for color like sun patients (died),purple potato vine (survived but did not thrive) and I tried a calla lily in a pot (died).

So far the creeping jenny and lemon grass are the winners. I will try to add some other things next year.

Might make a bigger island as the fish love it in the spring/fall when there is no cover.

I have it anchored over one of my pumps to hide it.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:59PM
pcan

Some more pictures :)

Waterfall

Waterfall at night

Side view

Fishies :)

Peeping toms! LOL

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:06PM
annedickinson

Great yard and pond. I love the width of the waterfall.

Are those quail? Are they pets or wild?

Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 9:05AM
pcan

Thanks Pashta!

Yes they are quail and they are wild. Funny little things. I was in my office in the basement working one day and heard what sounded like dripping water behind me. I turned to see their little faces peering in the window at me LOL. They make a sound that very much sound like dripping water LOL.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 10:53AM
PKponder TX(7b)

Wow, what an amazing conversion! I know a lot of hard work and vision (as someone else mentioned) went into this project. I bet it feels great to sit out there and just relax :-)

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™