Fake lemongrass?

tarheel10September 12, 2013

Hi everyone,
I bought this "lemongrass" thinking it would repel pests, but all it has done is attract little beetles called Two-Lined Spittlebugs. There are three or four of them on it every day (two small for my cellphone camera, sorry).

I broke off a piece and it was aromatic, but I couldn't say for sure whether it's citronella or not. Since it's not repelling bugs, I'm thinking it might be a cheaper aromatic grass.

What do you think? Have I been had?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

I doubt lemongrass would do much to repel pests...I do grow it for cooking purposes however. My lemongrass has much wider leaf blades than yours, and the leaves smell heavily of lemon when rubbed. Next time you want to grow lemongrass, go buy some from the grocery store. Put it in a bit of water and it will root in no time.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:30PM
surya55_gw

I agree; it should smell like lemon when you rub it in your hands. It does look like lemon grass to me; albeit a small one and I don't believe it repels anything. Is it possible to move it to another sunny location away from the bugs? Keep in mind, it is a tender perennial.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 9:20PM
gardengal48

Lemongrass is what citronella is derived from.......and citronella has a very good reputation for a natural insect repellant. At least for mosquitos :-)).

All species of Cymbopogon are considered "lemon grass" and used by various cuisines depending on the species native to that locale. It should have a distinct citrusy scent, ribbed blades and a fattish swelling at the root end, often tinted pink. Very easy to grow indoors over winter.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 5:30PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

AFAIK, all the 'pest repelling' aromatic plants must be crushed to release their essential oils to be effective - they do nothing just left alone & growing...

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™