Greenhouse heat

runswithscissors(MT 4/5)December 23, 2012

I'm starting most of my seeds in my hobby greenhse this year. But I've been confused in past about heat. I use bottom heat to germinate, and then take them off of heat and under lights, plus ambient light, to grow on. During the day temps can climb into the 90's inside, so I open a vent and turn the fan on. At night however, it often dips below zero outside. I do have a heater, but even that only allows the temps inside the greenhouse to get up to 45. Should I put bottom heat back on for the nights? Or should I just let them work thru the temp swings on their own, making sure that they don't freeze?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonfrum(6)

A vent fan on a thermostat would level out your temperature swings reasonably, but would take a bite out of your wallet. Once your seeds have germinated, 45 degrees probably wouldn't be a problem. An old-fashioned hot frame heated by manure certainly doesn't keep the air much warmer in the late winter/early spring. Bringing plant indoors at night would solve the problem, but you know that already.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Bottom heat on once seeds have germinated causes all sorts of potential problems so isn't ever recommended. 45 degrees is fine especially if the air is kept circulating. The bigger problem is your 90 degrees inside during the day. Ideally that needs to be kept below 70.

There are a couple of other discussions about this issue a bit further down the page if you want to read through them as well.

Dave

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™