Sad day-Putting the ponds to bed for the winter.

frankielynnsieSeptember 28, 2013

I spent the day getting my ponds ready for winter. Sinking all the plants to the bottom, dismantling 3 big pot ponds. I moved the plants that can't handle the cold into a big pot in the sunroom. Covering the 3 remaining ponds with netting to keep out leaves. Have to use tulle on the little pond by the front door to keep out the acorns.

I probably would have waited another week or 2 but our neighbor's dogs decided to play in 3 of the ponds and overturned pots, knocked in rocks, and carried off decorations. But, now that it is done I can just enjoy feeding everyone for a couple more weeks and being able to see them well with all the hyacinths removed. I did see that 1 baby had managed not to be eaten. All that's left is to pull the pumps and filters and put out the bubblers.

I really don't like cold weather cause it hurts my bones and keeps me inside. They are saying this is going to be a rainy very cold one and predicted that we will have an early frost. I hope they are wrong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

I'm dreading the job this year. I was pushed for time and dropped the cheap taro bulbs I bought into the Skippy. They turned into monsters. Some of them are 6 or 7 feet tall with 3.5 foot long leaves which puts the tops at more than 8 feet high. I'm afraid to look into the Skippy.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 1:42AM
pcan

I cleaned out my 100 gallon skippy but still need to clean out my 75 gallon. I have mucked out the bottom of the pond twice in the last couple of weeks and think I should do one more go at it. All my plants in the skippies and bog are still growing though so I wont trim them back just yet and it will be another couple of months before I shut the pumps off.

Frankie, do you live in a cold location? seems early just shut pumps down.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 10:05AM
frankielynnsie

I have the pumps going and will pull them out and put in bubblers in a few weeks. The dogs came back today but I put a frame with wire over the 2 in ground ponds so they couldn't do any more damage--not pretty but saved me a bunch of work.

I had a trickle tower in the big pond and it hasn't been crystal clear any this summer, clear at the top but not all the way down, but I think has had less ammonia. I pulled it out and put in quilt batting and overnight I had crystal clear water. Wow! And that was after all the dirt stirred up yesterday.

I wish I had some of those big leaves. I have been making big leaf castings this summer for birdbaths and such. I have made so many I don't quite know what I will do with them all. They were all princess tree leaves and I would like to try some other shapes. Maybe next year I will plant some taro. It has been all my husband could do to keep me from making a few nightly forays into people's yards for big leaves. :c)

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 6:46PM
annedickinson

I am dreading this task this fall, but we still have at least another week of weather that will be bearable in which to do it. Then I think fall will settle in for good.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™