germinating maple seeds

madrone(VancIsl BC)December 1, 2009

Do maple seeds need to undergo any kind of treatment before they will germinate? When is the best time to harvest the seed? Is it best to plant them outside or in the greenhouse on heat? I'd love to get some started and would appreciate any comments from those of you who have successfully started them from seed. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

You don't say which maple. Japanese maple will often do best if the seeds are harvested from the tree before they have dried and are then sown immediately (late summer to early Fall), pots placed outdoors. The seeds are exposed to a period of warm moist conditions, followed by cold moist, and will germinate in Spring when temps begin to warm again. You can duplicate those conditions with several weeks @ 68-70F, followed by 3-4 months @ 40F.

Others will germinate without the initial warm moist period, but just about all need an extended period of moist cold (3-4 months) before they will germinate.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 3:30AM
pardak(5)

Generally, maples that produce ripe seed in late spring (Silver maple, Red maple, etc.) do not require any stratification period and can be soaked in water and planted immediately. They should germinate within 2 to 3 weeks.

Maples that produce seed in late summer or early fall (Sugar maple, Norway maple, Amur maple, etc.) typically require some form of cold stratification before the seeds will germinate.

John

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 7:51PM
madrone(VancIsl BC)

Thank-you to both of you for your responses. My Acer palmatum is covered in seeds at the moment. I will pick some and plant them outside in pots. I do get some natural germination every year, but digging them up successfully and potting them up is never 100% successful. Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 10:11PM
mjq77

I am able to get the seed to germinate, but they (JM) will dampen off easly.In other words low sucess rate.

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™