Pond Plants in Autumn

rams2050September 27, 2013

Hi, all!

I have purchased many plants that are supposedly hardy to zone 4a -- pennywort, yellow floating heart, lizard's tail, marsh marigold, etc., and I would like to know if, as I suspect, their leaves turn yellow, too, as temperatures begin to cool?

If so, do I cut the leaves off the plant and leave only the roots to overwinter?

This is my first pond and nothing I have read has helped me with this question.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Craigger7

Hi rams, I am zone 5a. I have the same lizard tail and marigold plants in my pond since it was build 3 years ago. Actually I will be splitting most of the plants for my new pond next spring. Marigold are usually dried up by the summer heat. I do like keeping them in the pond because they are the first plant to bloom in spring. When your closing your pond for the winter, cut back the marigold and lizard tail to 2 inch stocks. Cut off anything dead. I never used the other two plants. Grasses I'll snip the top inch or so to get rid of the dead stuff. Then put the pot in the deepest part of your pond for the winter. My pond is 2 feet deep and they do well. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rams2050

Thank you, Craigger7. Other plants I have are yellow floating heart, pennywort, primrose creeper, water forget-me-not, and hardy thalia. So, if you have experience with any of those I would love to hear about it.

Thanks, again!

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Strange plant in my pond
Hello everyone.. i live in central florida, have a...
cadmaster
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
rosenbarn
Need help with my submersible pump.
My Shinmaywa submersible pump is pumping less volume....
judgebes
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
I'm a bad steward of my pond. :(
I only have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™