how to get rid of duck weed

jjsc44October 28, 2009

what is the best way to rid a pond of duck weed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnkr(z5 PA)

I had duckweed a few years ago. It all turned brown after the first fall frost. I used a pool hand skimmer (screen on a stick)to get it out.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 8:10AM
horton(6 b Ontario.)

Netting it out is one way or you can try carefully skim sucking it out with a wet/dry vac.
You don't say how big your pond is or what climate zone you are in.
The size of your pond and the climate of your area, will contribute to the control or demise in winter of the duckweed.
It sinks down in winter and reappears in the spring in some folks ponds. In mine, the winter kills it off completely.
Duckweed can be a b---er to get rid of. During the spring and summer my fish eat it and keep it under control, so I never have an over abundance of it in the pond.
"Horton"

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 8:18AM
copanolady

I wish you could send it to me. I love Duckweed and can't keep it - my 4 goldfish eat it like candy. I bought some at a local nursery and it's all gone - your fish don't eat it?

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 11:57AM
sdavis(z7b nc)

'Best way' might vary from the circumstances of one pond to another.

On a dinky rockery pool, a harsh mist spray can blast duckweed over to one side where it is easier to net floating plants out.

On a larger natural pond, topping the pond up prior to heavy rain storms stands a chance of flushing the bulk of it out of an outflow

On a pond with fish, stopping feeding the fish might persuade them to turn on tasty floating plants

On a pond that has been devastated by invasive plants, emptying the pond, leaving it to bake in the sun can do a thorough job where neglected plants have become rampant

'Nuking' a pond of legacy problems can be a convenient time to remove surplus plants, debris, to reconsider choosing more appropriate aquatic plants

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™