Bottle brush tree frozen

Evgrubbs777June 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if my bottle brush tree can be revived after a bad ice storm last year? Tree is brown, but just last week new growth is coming from truck of some of the larger branches. We are trying to find out can we prune tree? how much do we prune? and Will it come back? Any help would be appreciated. I can send picture of what the three looked like last summer and what it looks like now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its been dead looking for a year and a half.. and you still havent done anything.. crikey.. you redefine patience ... i think its time to do something drastic .... but...

w/o a pic.. i cant even conceptualize the issue...

could you provide one??

ken

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Callistemon have plentiful epicormic buds (those buds that lie dormant beneath the bark up and down the trunk). Since the top/tips of branches are dead, these buds will now become active and produce shoots, as you are finding out. Pruning won't hurt it, it is now a matter of aesthetics - you can wait and see what buds out and how much of the branches are dead, and cut off the dead wood. Or anticipate a bit and do it now. I have a whole row of 'Little John' that got hit hard last winter and I took off about 1/3 of the plants and they are now almost back to normal. If yours is grown in tree form it may be a bit harder to recover a nice shape, but it can be done.

Good luck!

Sara

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™