Dappled Willow (Hakuro Nishiki?) - leaves falling help!

ATekk(6nj)June 19, 2012

I recently purchased 2 Dappled Willow shrubs for the beautiful foliage and graceful shape and I just happened to need something nice and large for the back of a perennial garden.

I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with both of them. It has lost quite a bit of leaves (starting at the bottom going maybe 1 foot up on the branches). I thought it was maybe lack of water but from what I read I believe I would start losing the leaves at the top of the branches down if that were the case. In fact, the top of the branches look great, even continuing to put on some new growth!

Is it just an adjustment period and I shouldn't be worried or is this something more critical?

Thank you all for your help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

transplant shock ...

water PROPERLY .. not too much.. not too little..

ken

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 4:05PM
ATekk(6nj)

Thanks Ken! Good to hear you don't suspect a fungus or disease. We did get A LOT of rain for a good two weeks and that is when I started seeing the leaves starting to drop.

What is a good amount of water for a Willow? I know they need more than the usual shrub but didn't know what that meant in terms of watering a week?

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 5:57PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Water directly into the rootball.

The soil around that original rootball can be sopping wet, but water won't go sideways into the rootball that came out of the container.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:49PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Willows take a lot of water - I lost my first 'Hakuro Nishiki' because I had it on the same watering system as the plants around it and it simply needed more (I sited the second one differently!) Also, when plants are stressed (too much or too little water, for example), they generally drop the older leaves first, as they turn from assets to liabilities. Make sure that as you water going forward, you follow jean001a's advice. Once the root system develops watering will be less of an issue, as the roots are aggressive and will seek water where they can find it. They are gorgeous plants once you get them going, although you may have to really take yours in hand to make sure that it stays small enough for its space. Mine is only two years old and is at least 6' across, 4' high.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:07AM
deannamunson

all the willows are yellowing and dying here,rapidly.14 acres of them.herbicide abuse and smartgrid tech.got smartmeters?

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 3:57PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

You what???

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 5:48PM
shadeyplace(7)

I find I have to cut mine back severely to keep the green and white in the leaves.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™