'Compost' at Lowes?

gnappiJanuary 18, 2012

Lowes has this "Organic Compost derived from Cow Manure" there. It's ~ $1.75 a bag.

I don't have a spot for a compost pile so I buy it to amend my soil in raised gardens. I mix it with fine peat as it seems to also have a some sand in it. Everything does really well growing in it.

Does anyone else us this stuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

That seems to be in the 'budget' category for store-bought stuff, which is not intended as a criticism by the way. After doing some lab tests on various composts, I've found you kind of get what you pay for.

You've already found it has some sand, and if your soil is heavy (clay) that's not a bad thing. It does take up space in the bag that would otherwise be organic matter, which is another way of saying the bag isn't all compost. That's one reason it's cheaper than the 'premium' compost products.

The bag of Lowes cow manure I analyzed last year (which is probably not from the same original source, but just to illustrate) was relatively low in organic matter, middle of the road on nutrients and total salts (conductivity), and pH was neutral.

There is certainly nothing wrong with this stuff and I've used many bags of inexpensive compost and topsoil from the big box stores.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Need alternative nitrogen source
Ok, here goes. Don't laugh if I sound stupid. Or...
ernie85017
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
Gorilla hair?
I'm wondering about pros and cons of using redwood...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™