Frost Free Gardenia Trouble

karen_tennessee(7a)June 3, 2012

A landscaper planted 5 frost free gardenia bushes in my flower bed about 3 weeks ago. They aren't looking too good and have alot of yellow leaves. The landscaper said to water 20 minutes every 3 days, however I learned very quickly they were not getting enough water. I'm watering more every 3 days and they look better but not great. Do you think they are just stressed from being newly planted?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If they dried out that is your problem. By the way I planted mine in a sheltered nook here in Zone 8 and it froze out. However, your hotter summer may make it hardier due to the growth being better ripened in fall.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 2:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Watering instructions based on a schedule or length of time can only be a general guideline. The plants need water when they are thirsty which really can't be determined by a schedule. The temperature, wind, humidity, rainfall, dew, type of soil, nearby trees, etc... will all affect the amount of time newly planted shrubs can last between waterings. As they grow, this interval will increase.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™