I want to trim a big hedge

lakeyjimJune 30, 2013

I've read the "how tos" but that's not my problem. My hedge (privet) is about 10 ft high. At it's thickest it maybe 6 or more ft wide.

What I want to do it bring the height down to at least 5 ft, maybe more to make trimming easier. There is no way an electric timmer (or gas) will work as the stalks are too thick. I envision something like tractor with a bar like they use to trim weeds along the road. The trimmer blade openings on one of those babies are way big enough to cut the stalks.

I even remember seeing a tractor-trimmer that could raise the blade and keep it level. That would be ideal but last time i checked, I don't have access to highway maint equipment.

Is there any kind of power trimmer with both wide blade openings and a bar that it 6 ft long? Like a two man manual saw, perhaps there is a trimmer with a handle on the end of the bar. (obviously protected from the reciperocating blade)

I can remember years ago trying to lower a hedge using a chain saw but it kept snagging and knocking the chain off the saw bar every time i tried.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I can remember years ago trying to lower a hedge using a chain saw but it kept snagging and knocking the chain off the saw bar every time i tried.

==>>> OK.. you cracked me up ...

you did this before..

and you want to do it again???

really ... >???? .. lol

how about a pic ... i am stumped... pun intended????

one thing for sure.. if you want it to 5 feet.. you prune it to 3.. so that when it regrows.. it will be workable at 5 .... perhaps that is why you are doing this again ???

i wonder if there is some tractor mounted ORCHARD tool for this type thing...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i googled : tractor mounted orchard pruning.. and came up with this link .... there you have it.... lol.. probably cheaper to move.. or just cut the privet at 3 inches.. with your chainsaw.. and be done with it...

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:25PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

I tried with a chainsaw too, and it was a total failure. I ended up doing it with a hand saw, after cutting down most of the upper growth with the big loppers.

I had tree guys cut the hedge down many years ago and they used a chain saw successfully, but it was a huge and powerful thing, and they cut the privets to about 6 inches. (Obviously, there is a lot less flex in the trunks at 6 inches than there is at 4 feet).

The best thing about hiring a tree company to do it was they chipped up what they had cut down; when I did it myself, I had to deal with all 15 feet of the damned things and it took forever. That privet wood is some tough.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:19PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

The tractor mounted equipment used around here is not something I'd use on a plant I cared about since it shreds the ends of the branches. It looks really ugly andI am sure isn't healthy for the plants.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Illicium simonsii - anyone have experience with it?
I just came across Illicium simonsii at a local nursery...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Plant Identification help. Junipers?
What is this massive plant? Thanks! And what should...
nedreyerson
What are some small shrubs that mature into a compact round shape?
I see a lot of shrubs around town that grow into a...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Franklin Leather Corner Sectional (2 piece) - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Naturals Knotted Rattan Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Portfolio Lucie Black Microfiber Flared Arm Sofa
Overstock.com
NCAA Kansas Jayhawks Sideline Pillow
$13.95 | Bellacor
New Oriental Rug Hand Knotted Wool Mojave Collection Red Kazak H683
BH Sun Inc