Mysterious appearance

tacky_gardenerOctober 6, 2013

Last week one of my koi, an 8 in beauty, disappeared...raccoon, cat, I don't know. (Netted pond to keep out predators, although I don't like the look. Haven't had a problem with predators before.) Yesterday, a thin 5 in comet emerged from a crevice on the side of my small (500 gal) pond. He seemed to have a difficult time swimming, spent a lot of time under the waterfall. He returned to his crevice a few times. He didn't eat. I decided to leave him. The other fish initially were curious, but generally left him alone. This morning he was swimming with the rest and joined them in feeding. The lower half of his tail fin is missing, but he seems much improved. I wonder where this guy came from. And! I wonder if the koi will similarly reappear, although I think he was too big to fit between the rocks. Comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

Do you have any other gold fish? It is a miracle if you don't. Maybe someone in your neighborhood decided to quit taking care of their fish and slipped him into your pond.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:28PM
tacky_gardener

Cooper's hawk! In a tree...looking over the pond. Beautiful bird, but probably the culprit in the disappearance of Kimono, the koi. No explanation for the appearance of the skinny comet, though. My son reminded me that there were once four comets. The first one disappeared over a year ago. I found its skeletal remains in the skimmer. I have no idea when the second one disappeared, although it was several months ago when I inventoried the fish and there were only two comets. The prodigal fish is gaining weight and looking healthy. He's probably mine and not a gift from the neighbors.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:51PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Coloration in comets is quite variable. Several of mine have gone through several changes. My comet population increased by seven this spring. I didn't catch a glimpse of them until they were 3 to 4 inches long and only see them when they are getting fed. They are now almost six inches. The only colors that have remained stable have been of their fins and tails.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 2:34PM
pcan

I had a comet disappear for an entire summer then re-appear in the fall. I think he was injured by a bird who got one of my other comets and hid till he recovered enough to come out and hang with the other fish.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Rubbermaid vs Galvanized stock tank pond
I'd like to upgrade from my little whiskey barrel ponds...
lola6964
Sticky Monkey Flower Plant
I am trying to find more info on Sticky Monkey flower...
Houndhome
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Need help finding a leak in liner pond.
I have a 30-50 gallon a day leak. The leak has been...
larryl
Statuary versus Pond Pumps
I have a 300 gallon stock tank pond. I needed a slightly...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Lasso Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Opal Matte Glass
$162.00 | Bellacor
42" Bodega Hammered Steel Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Brown & Sand Three-Piece Reversible Coverlet Set
$29.99 | zulily
Iron Footed Column Crackled Black Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
POLYWOOD Chairs Bayline Patio Dining Side Chair in Textured Bronze/White Sling
Home Depot