new pond owner what to do for winter

gdnh(5)October 13, 2012

Built the pond this late summer, 30 square feet, seven goldfish. Have a used pump bio filter system that seems to pour a trickle of water into the pond but keeps water clean. I tried to catch them (fish) to bring inside (before I got the pond they lived for years in large plastic tubs) but no sucsess. I doubt that water flow would continue in the winter as so measly. Should I get a de icer I hear they are very expesnibe? Other options?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike56(7a)

Can you supply some more information? Where are you located? How deep is the pond? In ground or above? Does the trickel if water dump dirrectly into the pond or go over a falls? Maybe you can post a photo.

Mike

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:08PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

I'm in zone 5 and while I used a homemade lightbulb heater the first few years, I just run the pump all winter and use a bubbler now.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:51PM
gdnh(5)

I live in Massachusetts very cold in winter. There is a small plastic mini pond above the main pond, the water flows through vegetation in there and falls down to the main pond as I said in a trickle.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:41PM
Mike56(7a)

gdnh, The small upper pond will likely freez near solid and stop the trickle of water. To winter fish in the pond, you need at least 24 inches of water depth and to maintain a hole in the ice to let gass exchange from the pond water.

Please review the other resent post topic, about deicer question.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 4:07PM
sharon_9_fl(z9 FL)

I think you should bring your fish in. It doesn't sound like your pond can be quickly adapted for winter. Use your pond pump to lower the water in the pond so that you can catch the fish.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 6:16PM
kalevi

How deep is your pond? Is your biofilter in a plastic container or similar as it will freeze and most likely crack. If your pond is more than 2" deep, it is likely your fish will be ok for the winter.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™