Is it too soon to remove winter protection?

redwolfdoc_z5(5)March 30, 2014

Hello!

It's finally beginning to feel a bit like spring, and although the forsythia won't bloom for another two weeks at least, the buds are starting to form. I know it's too soon for pruning, but I'm wondering when is best to take down the burlap and leaf mulch winter protection.

The two-week forecast has temps down to 25 F on one or two nights, but mostly staying between 35 and 45. The ground is very, very wet right now and there's still quite a bit of snow to melt off. I'm worried about rot.

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks, as always,
Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lexusnexus(7a)

Chuckling about feeling like spring because it's snowing here in central MD. Not chuckling about the snow though. Grrr! It's not only the cold temperatures. The soil is so water logged it can't be worked.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:41PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Sigh, I know. When I say "starting to feel a bit like spring" I mean only that the temperature is marginally above freezing and the sun is out today. And you're absolutely right about the soil being waterlogged. I had a walkabout through the backyard earlier and the whole place is either an ice sheet or a bog. Guess I have to wait! :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:03PM
zaphod42

I have removed my winter protection. I also pulled my pots out of the garage. I hope not prematurely. It was 61 degrees today and I had to do SOMETHING. We will dip down a bit in temp, but I hope its okay. Days aren't expected to dip below 40 for the next week or so.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 6:32PM
KarenPA_6b

Do you know how low can potted roses take? I have removed protection off my potted roses and some of the canes are already leafed out while under cover. Tonight it is going down to 30 degrees for about 3 hrs. Do i need to cover them?

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:02PM
seil zone 6b MI

Well, I hope y'all haven't jumped the gun. I haven't touched any of mine yet. I lost too many to that Easter freeze a few years back so I'm going to leave mine on for a while.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 11:37PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

I haven't touched any of my roses yet, though I stare longingly at them on a nearly hourly basis. That winter protection is looking pretty mangy! Seil, your comment gives me strength to wait though. Well, your comment, and the nasty, half-frozen, half-quickmud state of the backyard...

I have one brilliance fern (grows both orange and green fronds) growing like gangbusters, no other signs of life. I'm gonna have to get more of those! This one is ahead of the forsythia and hellebores, even!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Best Place to Order Rose?
Here in Southern Ca, I've not been able to find some...
evelyn257
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™