Best fertilizer for Junipers

yaronvJanuary 16, 2010

Hello everybody.

I am trying to find a good NPK ratio for growing Junipers, or some other fertilizer for such plants.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Yaron.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

What you might need will depend on your soil and the nutrients that soil contains. Plants need a balanced food supply, just as we do, so you add to the soil what the plants need and the only way to know that is with a good, reliable soil test.
Other than "fertilizer" most all plants do much better in a soil well amended with organic matter.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 7:29AM
gardengal48

Of all the conifers, junipers are some of the most adaptable as far as soil conditions are concerned. They don't even want much in the way of organic matter -- as long as drainage is good, they should be good to go with little, if any, fertilizing. Like maybe never :-)

Why do you think they may need fertilizing?

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 5:13PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Hope you don't mind me butting in Yaron, but I have a question which may help if answered.

I have a Whichita Blue Juniper which - apparently - is a fullproof plant, yet it doesn't grow as well as I would expect. Barely any new growth last year. I've had to remove three Rocket Junipers for 'browning' and lack of new growth... What would be an ideal PH level for these plants?

We have high acidity being in the nor'east. Great for native pines/spruces/rhodies, but what about Junipers? Do they prefer a more alkaline soil?

I spent a couple of hours yesterday doing the google things trying to find an answer to this, but no-go. I'm starting to think this may be the issue.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?
Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread...
greengardener07
Patio Composting
Would like to start composting in a small patio area...
ecodonnell
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
How to prepare my soil (eastern PA)
Newbie gardener here going into year two. Last year...
mfran12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™