Can someone please help me?

aggieroseOctober 29, 2010

My whiskey barrell "pond" is filthy! The water is dark brown and there is so much dirt (fish poop!) in it. I change about 1/3 of the water about twice a week. I have a pump with a spitter, but no filter. I have 4 feeder fish and 2 plants in the barrell. How do I clean the water and get it clear? It doesn't smell bad, it kind of just smells like dirt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Hey, Aggie. This seems to be a common problem with this kind of setup. It isn't so much the fish poo, it is the dirt that is pushed out of the pots by the roots. You need a filter to trap the stuff thats in the water.Some people put filter material around the pump and don't realize the dirt just migrates back into the water.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheepco(MN z4)

Easy way to add a filter as Sleepless said is fill a mesh bag (like onions come in or a mesh bag for delicate laundry) with quilt batting. Your pump should be nestled in the middle - you'll probably have to cut a small hole for the cord. You'll need to rinse out or replace the quilt batting often at first (like daily if its really dirty), but as the water clears - less often.

Also, if you are changing out 1/3 of the water, try to syphon it out of the bottom, removing more gunk.

Good luck! S

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™