Little Henry Sweet Spire-Prune??

shinykatJune 13, 2009

I recently planted a Little Henry Sweet Spire. The flowers have now faded, and I was wondering do I need to remove them? Tried searching for an answer but couldn't find one, thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

There is no need to remove them.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 9:10PM
shinykat

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 10:34PM
mountainlaurel_1942

If you didn't remove them last year, you may have regretted it. We have three, and my husband objected to the dead blooms, which seem to persist forever. So I started removing them but finished one shrub and gave up -- tedious work!. However, that one looked better and healthier all season and seemed to have more vigor this spring. By now, they all look pretty good, so I'm not sure whether I'll face the task this year...

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 11:15PM
gilley111

If your husband is the one who objected, why wasn't he the one to remove the "offensive" dead blooms? Just wondering :0)

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:03PM
steve1young(7A)

Hello,

You don't have to remove the spent flowers/blooms, but as MountainLaurel points out, if you don't, some energy from the shrub will go into seed production. The less energy that goes into seed production, the more energy is directed towards the overall health of the shrub.

This is true of most shrubs, trees, perennials, annuals. But then again, you won't see me on a ladder dead-heading a flowering tree! ;)

Best of luck!

ps - Isn't little henry cool?

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 4:02AM
becksmini_gmail_com

Hopefully someone knows how to keep it from spreading?

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 6:25PM
kimcoco

I don't remove the blooms.

I've had mine for several years - love this plant - don't be alarmed if it's late to wake up in spring. It's usually one of the last plants to show any green growth.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 10:12PM
steve1young(7A)

I've found that the best way to keep it from spreading is to simply pull out the "travellers" along the edges from the main part of the shrub. I usually do this in early-mid spring. Plus, what you pull out can make great gifts!

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:33PM
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

I bought one of these mid summer for 5 bucks . Planted it right beside my front steps. I like it a lot. It's got a great form, flower and autumn color. It does run. I'm glad to know it's easy to take these runners and transplant them.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 2:40PM
GrapeSocks(5b (NE IL))

I'm glad shinykat posted this question. I also planted 3 'Little Henry' sweetspire this spring. Based on mountainlaurel's experience, it sounds like it may be wise to remove the spent blooms the first year so that they will put their energy into growing roots instead of seed. Or can someone let me know if this is not an accurate assessment so I don't end up creating busywork for myself?

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 6:04PM
fmart322(Z6SNJ)

I didn't deadhead mine and grew just fine. I guess if you have time, do it. If not oh well.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
Want to make a VERY small boxwood hedge/garden border
Really love the very small boxwood hedge/borders that...
towsonite
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
Coppicing Red Twig Dogwood Best Method?
Do you cut all of your red twig dogwood stems down...
jackbe1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™