Emptying and covering stocktanks for winter

catherinet(5 IN)October 27, 2013

I have several 300 gallon above-ground Rubbermaid stocktank ponds. Ever since I left them drained, but upright......and they filled with rain and snow and cracked, I've been turning them over for the winter. But....I was thinking.......I could just empty them (and spend hours trying to save all the tadpoles :)) and cover them with a tarp. I would put some 2x4's over the stocktank, to hold up the tarp. I would have to make sure that water/ice/snow doesn't accumulate on top and pull the tarps down though.

I just don't want to turn them over every Fall and Spring, because they seem to be easily cracked if twisted too often.

Any suggestions?
What do those of you in this situation do?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I got one of those heating cables sold for gutters and just tossed into a similar tank with some comets and this got me through a couple of winters without incident. Our temperatures often get below 20 but rarely stay below 20 all day.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:23PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Hey there. People with above ground pools have a problem with expansion and contraction too. Their solution is to keep the water in the pool and float an inflated pillow or inner tube that keeps a hole open for expansion and contraction that could otherwise cause damage. The floater must be anchored so it is partially underwater and partially above water so it does not just wind up on top of the ice. I understand there are other tricks that work too.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:30PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks albert and Sandy!

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 7:55PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Well, I tried several ways of elevating the tarps on the stocktank, so that water/snow would drain off well, but nothing worked. So DH helped me turn them over..........what I probably should have done at the start.
I already have a heater in 2 in-ground stocktanks for the winter, and can't do any more.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™