monster lilac

SibeliusJames(6a)June 29, 2010

My blue lilac bush has always grown large, coarse, and very often malformed leaves. It also gets a strong case of fungus every year. This year I really thinned the leaves/branches out to make sure it would get good circulation. It's actually doing a little better, but it's still growing large ugly coarse and malformed leaves. I'm planning on moving this shrub to another location this coming fall or Winter before Spring. When I do that, can I cut the tap root, kind of like bonsai, to try to slow it down and have it grow smaller and less coarse leaves? The shrub is already trained into a three branch tree with mature bark bearing trunks. Would playing with it's tap root like bonsai kill it or help to lighten up it's monster malformed leaf formation. The lower and smaller branches grow nice, lightweight and well formed leaves, but the major stem lines again are these coarse and malformed leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

really need a picture to understand what large ugly coarse and malformed leaves are ...

should we presume you are referring to mildew on lilac when you speak of fungus???? again the pic will help ...

increasing air movement is suggested for mildew ... but that might help next year.. there is no real CURE for it this year .. its more akin to prevention ... full fall cleanup of all affected fallen leaves also helps ...

all that said ... some of th old time lilac are simply magnets.. and there is just about nothing short of chemical warfare for eradicating .. or preventing the problem ...

also .. google REJUVENATION OF FLOWERING SHRUBS on how to thin it properly ... if you havent already ....

it might be easier to research some of the newer less prone varieties.. and planting one as a replacement... and then planning on getting rid of the problem altogether ...

ken

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™