Moving Pond Fish in Winter

buzzyng(z8 WA)October 12, 2013

Hello All,
I originally posted this as a reply so I'm re-posting here.
We are in the process of building a new home ourselves and, with every do-it-yourself project, it's going slower than planned. We have a large pond in our current home with a few koi and several goldfish. We plan on putting in another large pond at the new place but the house itself won't be finished for a few months and the pond may not be completed for several months after that. We will have an unfinished basement so my plan is to get one of those big tubs for the fish and let them stay indoors until the pond is done. Here are my questions:
1) Can pond fish be moved in cold weather? I know they sort of go dormant when it gets cold and I don't want to harm them.
2) Where is the best place to purchase a reasonably priced temporary storage tub and accessories?
3) Any ideas for set-up?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

There are people here (Catherine I think is one and Gary is another) who use the stock tanks. Tractor supply is one place to buy them.

I would try to duplicate, as close as possible, the filtration and aeration system you now have.

As long as the temperatures are the same (and maybe even as much of the same water as possible) I would think the transfer would go okay.

Good luck!!

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 4:52PM
darla84

I bought my stock tanks off of craigslist for a fraction of the new price and they work great

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 7:10PM
rapidwiz(Zone 5)

I would not move koi once the temperature dips below 55 degrees, you risk stressing them out. It should be done before preferably. My 2c

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™