Viburnum Question on Growth

Cher(6 SW OH)June 12, 2014

I have a few photos here that I would appreciate opinions on. I noticed the limb on the right looking slightly out of place. I pulled it out some as it was growing closer to the shrub. The bottom grows about 2 inches from the rest of the shrub and thought maybe it could be a weed that I somehow missed even though the leaves are sure similar. Then I notice a couple other stems right in the very center of the shrub so I thought these new stalks must might have done a super amount of growing this year vs the rest of the shrub and thought other opinions might help me know if it looks ok

Viburnum Autumn Jazz - in the ground here 4 - 5 years.

All the growth towards the ground is just a lower limb and is not new starts coming out of the ground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Not quite sure what your question is?
If there is growth that is annoying you, cut it off.
General pruning is usually done in the very early spring but you can take out an unruly piece any time you like.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:10AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ...

and rejuvenate the odd tall ones ... cut them as close to the ground as you can get ...

its branching excessively at height ... and that spindly little trunk.. cant hold it up ... as the upper parts grows more..it will just droop more ...

and while you are down in there ... take out a few more of the branches that are of the same diameter or larger ... as they will probably be doing the same next year ...

and that is how you maintain such a shrub.. thru rejuvenation pruning...

have no fear... you could park the truck on it for a week and not kill it ...

ken

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:13PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Don't do anything but cut that stem just above the soil line...do it now in case it wants to put up new growth that needs to harden off.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:35PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Ken & whaas I could stand on my patio and look at the bottom of the yard and see it looked weird. Didn't know if I had missed some weeds and they grew into that or if it was doing weird growth this year. Those few stems are taller than the rest of the shrub, even the leaves look bigger. LOL I will cut the stems out tomorrow right at the ground. Thanks for the advice.
Cher

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Help pruning red tip photinia
As u can see these are very big Im needing advice on...
l_w_davis
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
Sponsored Products
Jane Seymour Lilacs 18 in. Silk Flower Arrangement - JSWP23601N-PU
$375.00 | Hayneedle
Yellow Rose & Viburnum Pot Arrangement
$19.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™