Dwarf Golden Threadleaf Flasecypress

chueh(7B)June 28, 2013

I have seen Golden Threadleaf Falsecypress always with bright golden color appearance even when they are young. I have tried searching for it as a smaller size in nurseries, yet both the regular sized and the dwarf type at the local nurseries I have been to did not look golden or even chartreuse but green. I was told that the regular size (mature 5-6 ft tall) were goldener than that of the dwarf and as they grow both would become goldener. Still the dwarf kind wouldn't be true golden but chartreuse.

I searched online to see if the new growth and the old produce different colors. Yes, the nursery guy was correct. As they grow, they get goldener. However, as I see the regular size kind at the nurseries, they were very green, which is not what I want. Will they become golden golden as I see from some landscapes? This provokes another question: same cultivars from different nurseries and regions look different. I understand that every plant is slightly different even the same cultivar, but it never can be so jumpy from golden to green???

What's your take on that? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Golden clones situated for a long enough time in sun should be gold regardless of size. It is true Sawara cypress is apparently quite plastic so you will see variation within the same cultivar, with position on stock plant having some effect on growth of propagules. Hence 'Filifera Aurea' and 'Filifera Aurea Nana'. But an unshaded 'Filifera Aurea' ('Filifera Aurea Nana') in a one gallon pot should be quite metallic yellow. 'Golden Mop' is less apt to burn in hot sun but less yellow. You see similar combinations with other kinds of trees and shrubs, for instance yellow forms of boxelder and elderberry - there is a more yellow but sun susceptible golden form and a burn resistant but less yellow cultivar of each grown.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

bboy gave you the answer ...

but if you want to be further enabled as to CONIFERS.... you might want to visit the CONIFER forum ... there are sooo many options.. outside of the general offerings of local stores .. especially bigboxstores ....

the key is full sun ... for full color.. subject to your location .... of which some peeps in the CONIFER forum might be more attuned ... to GA or more southerly areas ...

what i think bboy was trying to say ... with all those fancy highfalutin words ...is you dont really know how or where potted stock was grown.. so its color might be off ....

and do note that some conifers have winter yellow color.. and then green for summer.. but that should not be the issue with the CONIFERS you are talking about ...

ken

ps: did you notice the key word in CAPS... lol ..

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:05AM
chueh(7B)

Thanks both to bboy and Ken. Ken, your CAPS of CONIFER confuse me, LOL!!!!

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 11:32AM
mrtulin

Ken is just suggesting STRONGLY you visit the conifer forum. In fact, as I understand computer manners, he is YELLING his suggestion. What you cannot see is the smile on his face.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™