red twig dogwood leaf spot

nuggetandnibblesJune 25, 2013

I have a red twig dogwood that has spots on its leaves. There is some leaf drop & leaves turning red (even though it's summer). We have had an unusually wet spring & summer here in humid VA. Is it septoria leaf spot, anthracnose, other? Can I leave it be or do I need to treat it to help it survive? Will it spread to a nearby flowering dogwood tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: red twig dogwood leaf spots

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nuggetandnibbles

PS - I think the holes in the leaves are due to Asiatic beetles which I have been hand-picking off at night when I remember to do it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:03PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

is it a recent planting.. this spring???

the whole point of this plant is.. wait for it.. its red twigs.. IN WINTER ...

i really wouldnt spend much time worrying about what it looks like ... in summer ...

and but for lack of water on a transplant.. if you figure out how to kill it.. let us know ...

it is.. in my experience.. completely bulletproof.. i would not waste a lot of time worrying about it.. especially with your rain ... and after getting established.. EVER ...

all that said.. hunting bugs is therapeutic.. nothing wrong with that ...

just reread your facts.. no clue about the other dogwood ...

ken

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:45AM
gardengal48

It is most likely Septoria leaf spot which is very common to shrub dogwoods and aggravated by your current weather conditions. Generally not considered to be a particularly harmful problem - more cosmetic in nature than not. Could affect the tree dogwoods as well although nothing near as debilitating as anthracnose.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread on dogwood leaf spot

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 1:44PM
nuggetandnibbles

Whew, I'm glad it's not serious. I planted it last fall for winter interest. I try to plant low maintenance plants..."bulletproof" sounds just about right to me! Hunting bugs & therapeutic don't go together, for me at least. Pickin' those nasty brown beetles gives me the heebie jeebies but I can't stand it when they ruin a plant. They are decimating my black & blue salvia, those rascals. Last year it was the joe pye weed. Thanks, Ken & gardengal.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
Unknown evergreen shrub
Hello experts! Do you know what this evergreen shrub...
kevinako
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™