pennywort war

koijoyii(NE Ohio)October 17, 2010

Now I know what not to plant in my floating planters. It looked beautiful when I left for vacation last month. We were gone for ten days and I came back to this.

It sure looked pretty and my water was crystal clear. In preparation for winter I started pulling it out and it was like pulling taffy. All of my floating planters were woven together by the pennywort roots. When I tried to pull them apart the roots destroyed the furnace filter floating planters. This stuff had grown between the rocks on the edge of the pond. I had to lift the rocks and pull back the folded over liner to get to the roots. I hope I got all the roots. Is pennywort an annual, is it hardy? If it's hardy I may be in big trouble next year.

Here is what it looks like after I cleaned it out. I swear I pulled 100 lbs. or more of the stuff out. I filled four huge garbage cans. The green on the right side of the pond is watercress. It is much more compatible in the pond. I will get to that next week.

Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancym1956

All I can say is Wow!

I've been waging war with it in my stream, but I've never seen it multiply THAT fast! Your stuff looks like its on steroids, LOL!

I'm considering getting rid of all my pennywort also. Too hard to stay on top of to keep it thinned.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 7:51AM
hardin(7 SE OK)

I pulled out what little I had last summer, but must have left a bit of root somewhere. This summer I had a little bit of it pop up. So here in Oklahoma,Zone 7, it must be hardy. Hope I don't have a population explosion like that, although its roots do help clear up the water.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 1:37PM
sheepco(MN z4)

Oh my!! Good information to have! Sure is true that a picture is worth a thousand words :)

A quick google shows that depending on the variety they can be hardy up to zone 5 and are considered a nuisance in the warmer climates. I hope yours isn't.

Bet the fish were glad you got home to save them from the beast!

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 6:48PM
pondmaninal(7b)

I have giant pennywort and it's not that bad here in Alabama.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 11:15PM
goodkarma_(5b)

Awesome! That is what a few pounds of fish food each day will do for your plants......thanks to your neighbor. lol But seriously that really is awesome albeit a lot of work. I hope I can get some of your pennywort for next year. Could just put it in the settling pond. It does look beautiful.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™