Kousa Dogwood didn't flower this year

bogey123June 17, 2007

About 3 years ago we planted a kousa dogwood and it flowered each of the last two years but didn't this year. Does anyone know why this might have happened? The plant is growing nicely and seems to like the spot where its planted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tee530(z6a MA)

Stress or drought the previous year can cause a poor showing of flowers. I'd keep it watered and fertilized this year, and hope for the best next year. For the record, after a great bloom in 2006, my kousa didn't put up much of a show this year, either.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 4:19PM
triciae(Zone 7 Coastal SE CT)

I have a kousa 'Samaritan' that's very young & hasn't flowered yet. But, I've noticed around Mystic that the kousas are not blooming as heavily as the past two seasons. In 2005 & 2006, the dogwoods here were loaded with blooms...almost covering any green of the leaves. This year, the trees around are, maybe being generous, about a quarter covered with flowers.

That's now 3 northeast locations reporting in with less than stellar kousa performances.

Tricia

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 5:11PM
bogey123

Thanks for the input. I don't think the kousa was stressed last growing season or so far this year. It gets enough water as its irrigated. Its also in a protected area in the rear of my home. I don't think I fertilized it last year and will give that a shot. The plant otherwise appears to be very health and is growing nicely.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 8:46PM
ego45(6bCT)

Let me join the club.
Both of mine (as well as other kousa in a neighborhood) do/did not performed well this year.
They bloom, but at least at the half rate of the last year.
Similar thing happened in 2004 if I recall it correctly.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 10:53PM
saypoint(6b CT)

Mine too. Last year, there were so many flowers and berries that the branches were weighed down under the fruit. This year, only a few flowers. They have put on a lot of new growth, though.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 9:01AM
stimpy926

Me too,, had good bloom last year, but sparse this year! No drought, good growing spot.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
'Don's Dwarf' Wax Myrtle
For me, buying plants is like "hauling coal to...
sam_md
Can I shorten a 10-15 yr old Nellie Stevens Holly?
Just wondering if Nellie Stevens can withstand having...
hafamily5
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Sponsored Products
Campania International Kousa Planter - Set of 3 - 8820-0503
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Sample-Fusion Kousa Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™