Tadpoles

koijoyii(NE Ohio)October 18, 2009

Well I am starting to prepare the pond for it's winter sleep. I broke down my floating planter baskets and impatiens islands and had tadpoles hibernating in them. I guess floating islands serve two purposes. I had to hand pick the tads off the islands and throw them into the pond. Hopefully they will overwinter alright. I pulled my plants out of the baskets and put them in laundry baskets and sunk them to the bottom of the pond. I am planning on pulling the leaves off the lilies and shutting down the skippy filter this week. I may cap off the settlement pond so the frogs make it though the winter. How depressing. Oh well, spring time is right around the corner. Yeah, right!!!!

Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hardin(7 SE OK)

I hear you. I really don't like winter, either. Especially since it seems summer just started, and I have had so much fun with building and playing in the pond. I have been cleaning, changing water, trimming and such. I have dropped a milk crate into the pond for hiding places for the fish. There are 3 Northern Leopard frogs, two which are about the size of a 50 cent piece. I don't know what I can do for them. I still need to trim the waterlily but as it keeps putting on new leaves, I will wait until that stops. The leaves on the trees are changing colors, so I have the PVC frame up for the netting now, and when the leaves start dropping, I will put the net on. Is it too early to say, "Bah, Humbug?" I guess we can't stop Old Man Winter, but hopefully over the winter, on nicer days, I can rock hunt, and maybe the poison ivy and snakes won't bother me. I can only think of one bad thing about This summer, and that is the fire ants that moved in, and they very nearly got the best of me. I have sadly determined that I am very allergic to them, and I MUST KILL them, one way or another, because if I don't I am afraid they are gonna send me to the emergency room. Little mean monsters.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
rosenbarn
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Inspiration and help sought - turning a 12,400 gal pool into a pond.
I'm fed up running my pool; expenses plus my wife and...
stewall
I'm a bad steward of my pond. :(
I only have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Cat n Around Shrimp n Tadpole Toy Duo - 01157
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Tadpoles Four-Light Chandelier
$95.00 | Bellacor
Tadpoles One-Light Shaded Chandelier
$95.00 | Bellacor
Tadpoles Lamps 25 in. Black Chandelier Table Lamp with 5 Bell Shade ctl5pl020
$98.21 | Home Depot
Tadpoles Antique White Mini Chandelier Table Lamp
$42.75 | Bellacor