Companion plants for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux

grassboroJune 22, 2011

I am looking for companion plant recommendations for dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux that I plan on using in foundation plantings in the front of my house. They will get west sun from noon to mid afternoon. Looking for something smaller that could go in front of them as well as something that could go along side of them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

5 days and no suggestions ...

anything that makes your toes tingle is my best answer ...

otherwise.. i dont understand the scope of your question ... its just so all encompassing ....

ken

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:10AM
Gwen_41

Grassboro, I am too interested in knowing which companion plants would work great with dwarf yaupon holly bordeaux. I am using them as a foundation plant and the area is full sun. Ken, I hope you can assist. Any suggestions..I was thinking about planting a canna and other sun loving plants.... I live in Mississippi. Zone 8

Thanks,
Gwen

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 10:54AM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Gwen;

Being on the Gulf Coast I would suggest going with something that will tolerate lots of heat and humidity. Will also need to tolerate quite a bit of rain.

Maybe some wandering jews and marigolds?

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:18PM
Gwendolyn41

Thank you, jcalhoun. I am not able to locate those shrubs here Dwarf Yaupon Holly Bordeaux....Do you know if they can be purchase in your area?

Thanks,

Gwen

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:02PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

They are not shrubs. Marigolds are orange/yellow flowers and wandering jews (purple queen?) are a purple/green succulent. They look good along the borders and edges of srubs and flower beds.

Both can be forund at Home Depot and Lowes.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 4:08PM
grassboro

I ended up using Liriope Big Blue and Nandina Flirt in front of the Yaupon Holly Bordeaux. I used a Dee Runk boxwood to the side of these to replace and old overgrown cypress. I am happy with these selections and they are growing fine so far. The nursery I get these from tend to carry unique plants that I can't find elsewhere. I was just looking at Taylor's Rudolph Yaupon Holly today since I need another for the other side of my foundation border. It has very nice foliage and has berries but the berries tend to sit down in the foliage. Yaupon Holly should work well in your zone.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 9:01PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

You read my mind! As I was reading the thread, I was going to recommend Flirt. I grow four different dwarf Nandinas, and Flirt is my favorite. Even in the heat of summer it still has some of that beautiful red/pink color in it, and in winter it's really lovely. If you wanted to play up the red even more, you might consider adding some clumps of pink zephyranthes grandiflora in between the liriope. They will come up and bloom in the summer and go completely dormant in winter. Dead easy to grow in the south.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™