Fountain pump will not restart when plugged back in

budnorthNovember 3, 2013

I have a 100 gallon water feature. Water pump will not work when it has been unplugged and then power restored. Is this typical? Do pumps get an air lock when they are turned off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

Since you didn't mention if this is a one-time happening, it may go without saying, but I will anyway. Do you still have electricity going to your outlet? Could a fuse have blown?

I can address only problems that have arisen with my magnetic PondMaster pump. One time debris was been sucked in when the hose from the pre filter came loose. I removed the offending plant and the pump worked fine. Another time I discovered that the housing that held the impeller in place was cracked. I replaced the housing and the pump worked fine.

Do you have a pre-filter? If so, it is possible that is plugged with gunk and water can't pass through.

The final comment is that it could be that the pump just has worn out. I don't think the magnetic kind do, but others might.

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps someone else can chime in with suggestions. Good Luck.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:37AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

We've an outlet in the house with a little button that must be reset whenever outside power quits. Called GFIsomething, I think.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 2:03PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

I have a pump that won't restart after being turned off or if the power goes off and if I thump it on the side of the pond it starts up. It is a mag drive and just has this quirk.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™