I have a problem...we're moving

nuevomex(5)November 8, 2013

We have sold our house and are going to full time in our motorhome. We have a 1000 gallon 4 ft deep pond with 7 koi and a waterfall/filter system. Winter is coming on and we don't close until January. The buyers do not want to worry about the pond this winter, they live in Georgia, I live in northern New Mexico.

So, do I give the fish away (they are 12-14"), sell them? And is it safe to do so in the middle of the winter? And what about the pond? Do I drain it? Or could I leave the water in and take out the pump? Just really in a quandry about this.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks, Susie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Craigger7

Hi Susie, sorry that you are losing your pond. Water temp. in the northern states are dipping down. I don't know what your water temp. is but transferring a fish to a new home at any time is stressful for the fish.
I would find out the buyers thoughts for the pond and if they wish to keep it. If not, look to local koi clubs or friends with ponds. I did a quick search, found Sante Fe Koi and Pond Society. Hope this helps..Craig

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 8:27AM
Oscarmatic(CA z10/23)

Susie, I'm no expert on koi, but I know some cautionary tales about home-buying. Before deciding whether to give away the koi, perhaps check with the buyers (and agents) to be clear about what the buyers think they're getting in the sale. If they expect seven beautiful Koi to come with the house, there could be problems later (even if you gave the fish away to save their lives). These details are often written into the sale contract so it's clear to everyone involved.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:25PM
darla84

You could post them for sale on Craigslist in your area.. I know in my area the koi sell very fast.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™