keep snow off of pond de icer

gdnh(5)November 22, 2012

I live in Mass potentially heavy snow. I purchased a thermo pond de icer keeping a hole in pond for gas exchange but what about if heavy snow at nite do I trek out there at midnite to clear off snow? Thinking of some kind of cover for the de icer? Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalevi

I used ABS pipe to make a frame and covered it with plastic sheeting. Make it triangular to allow the snow to slide off.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 10:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

If you only want to keep the area around the deicer melted, make a cover from an appropriately sized Roughneck container attached to a slab of Styrofoam. The top edge of the container should be inserted through a hole in the Styrofoam. You can use Greatstuff foam to seal the two together. Float the container upside down,sort of like the Monitor(sometimes referred to as a cheesebox on a raft) from the Civil war. The foam collar should be at least 4 to 6 inches wide all around. This stabilizes the container. Even if the contraption is sealed in with snow and ice the interior will be mostly ice free. Any snow on top will melt.

This is the basic form of the homemade lightbulb deicer which is cheaper to run than most deicers.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
My kids Turtle Pond
In 1982 I moved my family from Medford Lakes NJ to...
thepondfather
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™