Ninebark standard (tree form)

kathym(z5MI)July 17, 2008

Has anyone tried the standard form of Ninebark 'Diablo'? I need a small tree for my patio area and this one is supposed to only get eight to ten feet tall and just as wide. One of the trees at the nursery already shows its propensity to sucker. I would like to know if there are any downsides to growing this shrub trained as a tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I think you'd be fighting suckers constantly.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 6:23AM
kathym(z5MI)

Thanks for the response. Does ninebark sucker along the length of its roots? My other option would be to plant a small crabapple. These also sucker, some at the base of the trunk and some along the length of their roots. I was considering the ninebark because it's more attractive and crabapples seem to have problems with disease, even the ones that are supposed to be resistant to them.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 11:39AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

How small a tree are you looking for? A crab would get much taller than 8-10 feet, but if you're looking for something in the 20-25 foot range, you'd have a lot of choices. A tree I often recommend for a patio is the Sweetbay Magnolia, M. virginiana--open, airy, and with a fabulous, soft fragrance when in bloom. I prefer multi-stemmed ones to the single. It's also possible to prune some Viburnums into somewhat tree-like shapes. V. lantana 'Mohican' and V. 'Allegheny' would be multi-stemmed, and could be 'limbed up' to make a 10-12 foot small tree. Some of the V. dilatatums might work this way too--'Erie' and 'Michael Dodge' for example.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 6:34AM
rnbeagle_telus_net

I bought a standard diablo ninebark this spring. Really happy with it so far because its colour really stands out...like a shubert chokecherry without the large size, also more interesting shaped leaves and nice flowers and berries. There is no sign of suckering yet but maybe I'll find that to be a problem in a year or two. I think I'll just diligently snip them off at ground level if they do appear. I'm hoping that it will make it through the winter well. My ninebark shrubs always do so I assume this will as well.
Nelda

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™