using a pool filter for a vacuum

jbudaNovember 1, 2009

has anyone used a pool filter (sand filter or a smaller one like the from walmart with an actual filter) to vacuum the bottom of the pond to get the dirt and fish poo off the bottom? i was wondering if its worth it.

thx jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
horton(6 b Ontario.)

Jeff, I don't know how either one would work but there is more information on types of pond vacs,etc in the thread linked below.
I would like to know just how effective the one made from a swimming pool filter pump is. The link to it is in the other thread.
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond vacs, etc,.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 11:35AM
jbuda

horton, i tried a shop vac this spring and it kind of worked, but it would fill up fast and was a pain. i've seen a sand filter and regular filter type with a small pump on craigslist. i was wondering if anyone had any luck with either kind.
i think the bigger sand type would suck up everything including rocks and fish. the link you gave me looked interesting, something like i was looking to build.
thx jeff

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 12:26PM
drh1(z4b/5a)

Jeff,
We had a pool which we converted to our present pond. Having cleaned the pool more times than I care to count I can tell you that a sand filter, aka pool filter, will clog quicker than you can whistle Yankee Doodle! Plus the fact that it takes a tremendous amount of water to backwash the filter to breakup and remove the "stuff" from the sand. Check out the systems Horton has suggested.
---David

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™