How to prune NineBark

bethhbJuly 13, 2011

Some of my Diablo and Summer wine nine barks are very tall but rather "thin". I have been reading that Ninebarks should be pruned which I didn't know, they are so lovely in there arching wildness. Yearly I do cut out anything dead or broken, but I haven't "shaped" them or cut out live branches.

My question is if I prune these thin shrubs will it increase their volume - number of stems coming from the base? If so, how do I prune? Do I prune the tips of the branches and make them shorter? Or cut out branches?

Please note - these shrubs are in a difficult site and I need to help them all that I can. Thanks for as detailed advice as possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

see link about rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ...

good luck ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 9:43AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

how long have they been there? why are they "thin"? are they getting sun and nutrients?

My Diablo gets better and better each year. I've had it 10 years now and its great. I've never pruned to shape it. just dead stuff. In its early years, I was not overly impressed. Love it now.

It would help if we could see a picture.

a top dressing of compost might help too.

I personally would not cut back any existing stems partway. Yes, that may stimulate new growth, but it will change the growth habit. I guess it also depends if you want that arching look or a bushy look. A bushy look could be nice too, just preference I guess.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 12:13PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my guess is.. with the older ones.. the other trees have shaded them ... over the decades.. and now.. a full sun shrub is reaching out for more light ...

and they may struggle.. even with full and proper renovation ... struggle in the sense of looking like a well grown specimen ... its not usual that they would die outright ... [unless the shade is from norway maples.. lol] .... its just that they may not perform to expectation ... and no fert is going to change improper sun ...

who knows.. as noted.. need pic

ken

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™