Create List of Root-Hardy Shrubs

gardener365(5b Illinois USA)July 30, 2010

I'm in zone 5, IL. I am 100% positive Glorybower grows perfectly here, and as a bonus, it blooms on current "annual" wood:

'Peanut Butter Tree'/'Glorybower'

Clerodendron trichotomum (zone 7)

Crepe myrtle:

Lagerstromeia (indica x faurei) 'hardy hybrids' I have yet to plant any of these or research them, however, they were suggested to me by author, Guy Sternberg (link below)... if you'd like to read more about Guy S.

Thanks for your shared knowledge. It's most appreciated!!

Dax

p.s. I'm also growing Bee Bee tree which presumable should be hardy here, however, it came back from the roots and has only been in the ground for one year. (Evodia danielii/Tetradium danielii). ...I assumed this tree would be fully-hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia: Guy Sternberg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrgpag

Dax, I've been growing Lagerstroemia indica here for a number of years and found it to be very root hardy and some seasons stem hardy. But I think I'm a tick or two warmer than you zone-wise. A good winter mulching is beneficial the first winter or two. We have some l.indica at the arboretum that are at least 15 years old.

Marshall

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 8:20AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey dude....

what is a root hardy shrub ... dont recognize the term ....

something that dies to the ground in winter????

ken

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 9:02AM
mrgpag

I've heard of this growing up near Chicago and I know of several in this area - Musa basjoo. More of a tree than a shrub and does need some winter mulch to protect the roots.

Also if you can find a seed source of plants from colder than normal zones - eucalyptus. I had several species here for a number of years that did will - till I tried moving them - they didn't like that at all. Seems to me there are some folks out in Oregon that have good seed for colder climates. Might try Googling something like "root hardy to zone 5 eucalyptus". My seed source disappeared from the net so I can't help much.

Marshall

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 6:09PM
deltaohio

Adina rubella, dies back to the ground in winter but comes back from its roots. It only grows about two feet high in NW Ohio.
Frank

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Edgeworthia chrysantha never fully blooms?
I planted my edgeworthia about 2 years ago. Last year...
chueh
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™