trailing pond plants?

LagunaPat(9 sunset24)November 9, 2013

Hello all!
Newbie ponder here. 28G raised container in partial shade near coast in SoCal. No pump nor filter; no fish -maybe mosquito fish come Spring.

Setting up this weekend with some reeds and rushes and umbrellas from my sister's pond. Will purchase one dwarf lily. Sounds crowded already but thought I might squeeze in more if it trails over the sides up to a foot.

Creeping Jenny looks good; any other suggestions, please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

LagunaPat,

Here are a few that I have in my pond that I really enjoy which might work for you:

Chameleon Flower (Houttuynia cordata) - Although it gets little white flowers, this plant is grown mostly for the leaves as they are green, cream and edged in red. Nice looking plant in my pond.

Variegated Water Celery (Oenanthe javanica âÂÂFlamingoâÂÂ) - Grown for the foliage this white, light green and hints of pink foliage is also spreads across my stream, this plant can easily be pulled out if it gets too big and seems to filter/clean the water as it flows down the stream through its roots.

Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) - Sprawling plant with green little leaves and tiny blue flowers.

Water Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis scorpioides) - This is a low growing plant that spreads out across my stream and provides me with gorgeous baby blue tiny flowers.

Your little pond sounds adorable. Good luck with searching for your plants.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 6:50PM
sdavis(z7b nc)

Assuming you are planting within the pond and want it to trail over the sides, parrots feather is particularly well suited

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 10:47PM
LagunaPat(9 sunset24)

Thanks LadyLotus; that is quite a list for me to work on!

And thanks SDavis, I didn't know parrots feather would do that; easy one to pick up.

I have waited for the heat of summer to be over and can't wait to get going now :-)

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™