trollius - slow and stately....or will it romp?

Campanula UK Z8February 12, 2014

I rarely buy plants and never buy more than one....so when I do, I tend to baby it along till I can get a stock of seed or cutting material. Finding myself with heaps of (wild) space, in an unfamiliar garden scenario, I am wondering whether to risk potting my single globeflower at home (with all the risks of my sunny and dry garden.....or planting it in an ideal spot (moist) but still uncleared and bosky. Mostly, I am planting thuggish things which can and will hold their own until planting becomes a bit less....dangerous, but having craved trollius for years....... So, is this going to sit still, looking a bit worried by the encroaching brambles....or can it give as good as it gets. Can you comment on the vigour of this plant ( I have Trollius x cultorum 'Alabaster and not the T.chinensis).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

The Trollius ledebouri I grew from seed via winter sowing 4+ years ago appears happy where it's planted in part sun at the northwest corner of my garden. The soil is sandy loam; the plants get no supplemental water. I mulch heavily over corrugated cardboard so my plants don't compete with weeds or encroaching brambles.

According to Larry Hodgson's book 'Perennials for Every Purpose:' "Cool and wet. Those are the conditions you need if you want to succeed with globeflowers." Included under that heading is Trollius x cultorum although 'Alabaster' is not mentioned specifically by cultivar name.

Mulch may explain why I've had no issues with self-seeding. I do enjoy the cheerful blooms early in the season, more particularly because they attract pollinators and don't appear to be bothered by pests.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

For me, Trollius x cultorum (mine is 'Cheddar'...I think) has been very slow. Even in a shady area that is almost always moist it has been weak. The foliage looks terrible after blooming, which is why it is planted amongst other things, used almost like a spring ephemeral.

It's a bit of a toss-up. Your T. cultorum would probably prefer the damp/shady area to its current home if it is that dry. BUT I'm not sure if it could stand up to more rampant neighbors. I wouldn't chance it myself, but in your situation it may prove more vigorous.

I know it's not what you asked about but...Trollius chinensis ('Golden Queen') is extremely stout and could easily contend with your wild plants. For years I stayed away from Globeflowers because the tag and book blurbs of their requirements always made them seem fussy. This guy isn't at all. It's even braved a root-y area that dries out easily. It seeds around a bit, which I am more than fine with.
CMK

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
daves10
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™