Can cotinus volunteer be transplanted?

boldcolors(Zone 5 Ut)July 29, 2011

I've looked high and low to an answer to this question. I've got a purple cotinus in zone 5, about 6,000 ft. It has a volunteer growing nicely (about 24" to 30" tall) about 18" to 22" away from the main plant that was planted about 5 years ago. Can I transplant this lovely plant to another part of my yard? Anyone had any success with something like this?

Thank you for time,

Boldcolors

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

TIMING is the issue ....

dont do it in august.. for sure ....

if it were me.. i would take a small hand trowel ... and dig in there like an archeologist .... i doubt its a volunteer ... rather than a rootsucker ... so lets find out if it has any of its own roots ....

if it does .. then in fall .. after it loses its leaves .. i would dig it up .. and move it .. and probably cut it down about half way ... IF it has a small root mass of its own ...

if it has no roots.. let us know.. and maybe we can come up with other options ... like partially cutting the root attaching it to mom.. so that roots will develop next year .. and we can move it next fall ... on maybe next spring ...

just be sure.. its nothing to do in august .... august is for planning what you do at other times of the year ...

ken

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 12:30PM
boldcolors(Zone 5 Ut)

Ken,

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense! I was looking to the future (and a new bed I've doctored up and letting set a season). Your detailed thoughts are just what I needed to really get my mind straight on the whole matter. Get back to you after I go hunting for roots (Got company here now ....so that might be several weeks here in the future).

Boldcolors

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 8:53AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Boldcolors,

Check out the link below for more info that you may find helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 12:21AM
boldcolors(Zone 5 Ut)

Ken, My company is gone. I dug like a archeologist and here's what I discovered. A branch of my Cotinus was now laying under dirt ....so it looked like it was a new plant further away from the mother plant. I followed that branch, then pulled lightly. The branch didn't go all the way back to the mother plant but stopped short....about 5 inches away. I guess this branch did some of its own ground layering...as there are roots (pretty nice ones) where the branch meets the ground.
With all the things I've discovered...would your advise still be the same as you posted above?

Thanks so much for your time and advice,
Boldcolors

PS Thank you Brandon7 for the great link

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Butterfly bush blooming too soon
We've had some unseasonably warm weather recently and...
carla1
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™