When it got cold we started getting a string algae.

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)November 26, 2013

When water temperatures dropped to near 40 F we started to see string algae. Whatever strain it is was not there all summer and is now thriving. Curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

That is curious though I guess there can be a cold weather strain if string algae.

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 7:24PM
lmjk1221

We have algae that not only survives - it seems to thrive in the cold weather. I'm grateful for it as I assume it's doing the same thing that algae does in the warner weather - consuming any nutrients in the water, helping to keep the pond ecology balanced.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 7:30AM
Craigger7

Hey guys, I have had the similar problem years past. Remember algae is at the bottom of the food chain. All year your plants have been eating up the nutrients in the water. Well now, with plants being dormant, algae takes over.
I know there is allot of hype on Iongen. However since I added, I've had no problems. Granted I take it out for the winter, but it seems to clear the water. I've heard bad things about hooking it directly up to your flow line. I personally like just hanging it in the skimmer box.
For those with smaller ponds, not to worry. I've noticed Lisak believes in keeping a pond naturally balanced. It will help your pond ecological system. The only thing is you may have a little more clean up in the spring with a pea green pond.

Craig

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™