Alleghany vs. Prague - that is the question...

windymess z5July 31, 2014

I'll avoid saying anything about why I want screening from my neighbors to the back (I remember my grandmother telling me- "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"). Long-story-short: I need to plant some viburnums! And I happen to love viburnums anyway, so any excuse will do. At a previous home we had a couple of large (10 x 10) ones that we loved, of an unknown variety. Recently, in my new yard, I planted a few Korean Spice along one side and I can hardly wait until they get a little bigger and start blooming. They have lovely leaves even without blooms, though. So - in the back I have a long expanse and I need the shrubs to be eventually in the 10-ft+ range. I've seen some in nearby neighborhoods that I'm sure are some type of leatherleaf. The nursery has both Alleghany and Prague - both seem like they might fit the bill. This hedge will be partly shaded. By that I mean they will get some sun at different times of the day, but it's very protected and there is a high canopy of trees. Does anyone have experience with these and have an opinion about which is more attractive, etc.? And BTW, this nursery also has Conoy, which I believe will pollenize the Prague... so I guess I could get one of those to place somewhere else in the yard.... Oh, and they also have Mohawk, which I believe is fragrant. And they have Summer Snowflake doublefile, and I know I need one of those! I feel like I might go on a viburnum binge! But the priority is the screening hedge, and I'll be needing 5 of them. Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I would vote for Prague. Mine have stayed very full at the bottom whereas Alleghany tends to be leggier at maturity. The finer texture of Prague is (subjectively) more attractive. The blooms on both are much the same. The evergreen nature of both is handy for screening. Mine are growing under an oak and still have reasonable density in the shadiest areas.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:26PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Last winter, the coldest in 30 years, my young Prague never lost a single leaf while the much older Allegheny was completely defoliated.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:20AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would tend to hesitate on planting a monoculture ... just in case some plague rolls thru ...

why not something non V for plant 2 and 4 ... in a line of 5????

ken

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:18AM
windymess z5

Great - so Prague it is. The aspect of fullness in the lower part of the shrub is something I didn't know and hadn't thought about -- but will be better I think. One further question -- how far apart is really appropriate? And please keep in mind this is for screening, especially above the fence.

Ken - this is a great point! And I think about that sometimes as I drive around my area and see how many Austrian Pines are diseased, dead or dying. But what might be a good addition or alternative that will get up to the 8-10+ ft range in height? I'm stumped. This is zone 5, KC area, with some pretty harsh cold winters sometimes....

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 5:51PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I spaced mine @ 5' on centers and they are now a solid screen. Probably could have spaced them farther apart but 5' isn't too close in my book. Depends on how patient you are. ;o)

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:20PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

I had a large Prague that was completely annihilated.

My zone 5 is much different than yours though. I believe the coldest spot in KC and surrounding area is 5b.

Before it croaked it was one of my favorite viburnums. I replaced it with a hardier variety, Summer Reflection.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 10:25PM
windymess z5

Thanks all! Yes - I do think 5b is pretty accurate for this area generally.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
'Don's Dwarf' Wax Myrtle
For me, buying plants is like "hauling coal to...
sam_md
Illicium simonsii - anyone have experience with it?
I just came across Illicium simonsii at a local nursery...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Sponsored Products
Rachel Latte Fusion Jack LED Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$419.04 | Bellacor
Avanity BROOKS-VS30-CG-C Brooks 30 Inch Vanity Combo in Chilled Gray finish
Blue Bath
AICO Furniture - After Eight Contemporary 3 Seat Sofa - 19815-CRGRN-88
Great Furniture Deal
Feiss VS18601 Merritt 1-Light Vanity Fixture - VS18601-BS
$29.98 | Hayneedle
Cypree Frost 27-Inch Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$252.72 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Villagio Double Pedestal Dining Table in Hazelnut...
Great Furniture Deal
Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - AL
$564.99 | Hayneedle
Texas Rangers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™