Nandinia Tall bushes

karen_tennessee(7a)July 15, 2010

I have what I think are tall nandinia bushes (not with bamboo looking branches). I trimmed them up from the bottom years ago, They now are ugly and top heavy and too much for the area they are in. Can I trim them all the way from the bottom and let them start all over? Some have a little bottom growth and I'm sure I should keep that. Can I trim them all the way down?

Thanks,

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

The right way to gradually prune nandina back is to cut a few of the tallest, oldest canes back to the ground each season, leaving shorter canes in place that will continue to produce carbohydrates, helping to rejuvenate the plant. Cutting everything off in one pruning means that all of the recovery effort would be fed from carbohydrates stored in the roots, making for a weaker recovery. More shoots should come from the ground each season if the plants are in healthy condition.
hortster

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 3:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, a cane grower renewing itself via new canes from the root crown. Maintain by cutting out oldest, tallest floppiest canes once per year (or less often), leaving the rest to continue the cycle.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
Converting Mature Escallonia Bush to Large In-ground Bonsai Tree Form
I have two Escallonia shrubs that are 20 years old....
misterleadfoot_z9
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Mixing Lilacs
I have a large section of yard that is filled with...
MsKitty31
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™