Plumbing fittings, price and/or quality?

Central_Valley(9)November 20, 2011

My wife and I are working with ponds and pond plants, so far in a small way. We need to replace a specialized fitting -- specifically, a 2" bulkhead fitting. After determining that I couldn't buy one at Home Depot I checked the web. I found several sources of supply, but I was shocked by the variety of prices. One company offers the item for $7.00, another for $19.49. There's a range of other prices between, although most of them are in the $9-$12 range.

My question is: are these items pretty much all alike, or are some better than others? Might the difference in prices reflect a difference in quality?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharon_9_fl(z9 FL)

Not usually. I bought one at the bottom range of what you listed and then found the exact same thing at a local store for $24. If they look the same, they probably are.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 10:40PM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

Ditto.

I've used Plumbing Supply for years. Always great prices, huge selection and they also provide a lot of good info for non-plumbers.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 6:50AM
jorgedyne

I don't know much about plumbing, or the average cost, or what to expect, but I got service quickly. I called and within an hour dynamerican professionals came out and fixed 2 problems I had. He even had an extra used part that he didn't even charge me for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbing Services akron

This post was edited by jorgedyne on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 3:22

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 3:21AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

We've found pipes and fittings at a farmers feed, seed and almost-everything-else store which were not available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:57PM
jeff_in_wi(z4 WI)

I have purchased bulkhead fittings both online as well as a local farm supply dealer. One thing I noticed was the 2" bulkhead fitting at the farm supply had a larger outside diameter than the 2" bulkhead fitting I purchased from an online pond dealer. The smaller fitting allowed me to get the fitting closer to the bottom of my filter box. They never tell you the outside diameter in the description.
The quality seemed about the same - but the farm supply was cheaper.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™