Plant suggestions between a pool & retaining wall.

Davy_KJuly 22, 2014

The space between the pool and retaining wall is 4'. We like the plants to grow up to 5' in the middle. Zone 9/10, full sun, clay soil, Southern California.

I was thinking maybe myrtle/Myrtus communis, where the two pilasters are located at the left and right sides and a flowering shrub in between? I will add a few more pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

no plant stops growing... how will you prune them.. once or twice per year??? is there space to work on such??? is the wall.. the retaining wall.. the actual pool side???

what about vines on the fencing???

ken

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:52PM
Davy_K

Here's a better view. The cement of the pool is one side and retaining wall for the slope on the other side.

You recommend not planting shrubs? I was thinking hibiscus, bush anemone/carpenteria californica, maybe 2/ myrtle/Myrtus communis, and Rock rose/pavonia lasiopetala...

I guess I should look into vines or potted plants.

I figured a gardener would trim the shrubs back as needed, every 2-4 weeks?

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 12:02AM
cadillactaste

How about bougainvillea? It's a lovely vine or trained tree...amazing when in bloom...I have a bonsai of one since I can't grow it in zone 5. But when I am in Honduras I am in awe of them in tree form there.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 5:49PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i asked... how you plan to actually do the pruning.. ???

without water in the pool i am having a hard time conceptualizing... the dry workspace ...

will you be walking along the stone cap with pruning shears.. and a floating garbage pail to put all the cuttings in???

you can come up with ideas about all different kinds of plants.. that is not the issue i cant solve ...

the issue is.. how do you care for them.. short of being a fairy with wings .. tinkerbell .. who can hover on the other side of the wrought iron fence ... in mid air ....

i see some kind of something coming thru the square caps.. what is to be installed there.. lights??? .. if so.. you wont be doing a Karl Wallenda along the rest of the caps ... see link ...

and that best defines how i dont understand how you would prune and care for plants of various types .... and that is the limitation that concerns me ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™