John F Kennedy Rose

bricore(35131)March 12, 2012

I bought a couple roses the other night. One of them was a John F Kennedy Rose. After I got it home I looked it up in a rose book I have, "Ortho- All About Roses." In the book it says that production can be disappointing. It also said it only rated 6.3 - a below average rose. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any luck growing them?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosarama

My exoerience was very disappointing, to say the least - but having said that, my soil was not the best (sugar sand of Central Florida).

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 8:26PM
mainblaine456(5a)

I have that same rose book! I find a lot of conflicting information online from what the book says, so who knows which one is right. My advice is plant it in the best conditions....Full sun, well drained soul and give it fert. Is it one of those bagged up roses? They do well being soaked for a good day in water before planting. Also, where did you find a rose bush for sale this early? I need to go see if the stores have them now!

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 8:57PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

Bricore, I don't know where you live, but HelpMeFind suggests that it is only winter hardy to zone 7b. Maybe that's why some growers gave it a lower rating.

I have seen that rose perform very well here in Southern California.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 9:25PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I planted one last year, and it did ok. I got a few very pretty blooms, but it was defoliated all summer from blackspot (I don't spray). The blooms I did get were very pretty though. Mine grew to about 3.5 feet last year and began bareroot. I like the blooms, but I'm not crazy about its disease resistance and rapidness of rebloom. It made it through my 6b/7a winter without protection. Overall, I'd agree with the rating of 6-ish.

Tammy

Here's a pic of one its its mid-summer blooms...

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:04PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

I grew it in central FL on fortuniana root stock. Had 2 of them where they got afternoon shade. Big beautiful bushs that pumped out tons of beautiful blooms. From what I understand, fortuniana is the only root stock that it is happy with. Nelson Roses of FL has been selling it for years.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 12:30AM
rebeccah_2009

I have that same book too. I don't have the rose but my aunt used to have it and it done well for her, It never hurts to give it a shot.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 10:40AM
caflowerluver

I have had that rose for many years, at least 20, and it does fine for me. It is not one of those spectacular roses but consistently has lots of canes with nice white roses. I can't compare it to other white roses since it is the only white rose I have.
Clare

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 11:49AM
caflowerluver

Just FYI. You go to Help Me Find Roses website and it has an excellent rating. Very disease resistant.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: JFK

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 11:55AM
seil zone 6b MI

It did very poorly for me. It did not winter well and in two years died and I didn't replace it. It was black spot prone and the beautiful long buds never opened in my humidity. It may be good for someplace hot and dry but not in my damp and cold.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 12:14PM
dlbk(6a)

I have a client who's replaced this rose 3 times. I finally suggested we try something else. Beautiful rose if you can get it to live.
We're going to try Saratoga or perhaps Crystalline next. Has anyone had trouble with either of those?

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:05PM
pat_bamaz7

JFK is a tall beautifully shaped bush for me here in hot, humid Alabama...perfect vase shape and strong sturdy canes. He blooms profusely once it starts heating up...he seems to need hot days and warm nights to do well for me. He is my least fragrant white...rated as highly fragrant by some, but very mild scent to me. He will blackspot in my humidity unless sprayed, but most all hybrid teas blackspot here without spraying.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:52PM
mori1(5b/6a)

I have to admit it took me 4 tries, that's because I didn't know what I was doing. It's one of my favorites but doesn't have that much of a scent. Its like a florist rose for me. It does get BS but its mild compare to my other roses. I also have Jack Frost but JFK outshines him every time.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 5:32PM
Jim_in_AV

My JFK is over 6ft. tall right now and heading into his second flush. He does well here in the desert.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:15PM
prairielaura(6b)

Was a weak, sickly blackspot magnet for me in coastal Texas.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:21PM
cherrykist(Z-7 NC)

I have had JFK several times and when it wasn't being destroyed by thrips, it was riddled with black spot. It never seemed to get strong enough to survive for me. Although when it did bloom the blooms were beautiful.

Tammy O

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 8:28AM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

If you can get JFK on fortuniana rootstock, it makes all the difference in the world.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 8:53AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Hated it, I was glad when it started getting Dr. Huey suckers. I was rooting for Huey... :-P

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 9:38AM
prairielaura(6b)

Someone asked about Crystalline: it is way better than JFK but not as good as Pope John Paul or Sugar Moon. IMHO.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 3:11PM
prairielaura(6b)

Someone asked about Crystalline: it is way better than JFK but not as good as Pope John Paul or Sugar Moon. IMHO.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 3:12PM
prairielaura(6b)

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 3:13PM
prairielaura(6b)

Sorry about the triple post...there is something messed up in the preview phase.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 3:16PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

About ten years ago on this forum, someone out in Memphis reported having a very good JFK, the only good JFK reported then from our part of the world.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 12:46PM
sara_ann-z6bok

My JFK bush looks healthy but hasn't set on one bloom yet. My other newly planted roses are blooming great. I'm waiting patiently for it to bloom.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:03PM
kpfl81

My JFK is a very healthy bush with a fair amount of growth. The location on mine is a little more shaded than most of my roses (not sure if that has helped it).

My disappointment is that the blooms are just so-so. Petal count isn't impressive, and there is considerable browning throughout parts of the petals.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:07PM
dlbk(6a)

We decided to go with 'Home & Family'. It looks to be a very nice white & was recommended by the folks at Heirloom Roses.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:57AM
henryinct

JFK was not hearty or vigorous enough to survive for me in Z6b. Rather like Honor which is wonderful here in 10a but couldn't survive in 6b. It depends where you live.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:04PM
sara_ann-z6bok

My JFK is finally setting on some buds!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:42AM
sara_ann-z6bok

My JFK is finally setting on some buds!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:43AM
Roselover1348(8)

I had a JFK that I shovel pruned after 4 years. it was always soooo promising. excelent growth, long canes, no black spot (only mildew when the damp ocean air sticks around too long), and HUGE HUGE HUGE flower buds which never opened all the way because I think it is too moist and/or cool so close to the ocean.
I gave up and swore off white roses. :)

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:11PM
charleney(8a PNW)

Still no good after 6 yr. trying everything! Shovel pruned was the best thing I did for it. And I do know how to take care of roses, thanks to this forum! Will never try it again.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Can you message me or anyone else?????
I made sure to check, "allow users to message...
jasminerose4u, California
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™