Can I trim my crape myrtle?

NinjaPixie87(7)July 29, 2014

I know the typical pruning season for crape myrtles is late winter, around February. I actually got around to pruning mine up some back in February, but I was a little hesitant to do too much because I love hot tall and mature they are. Now, after a good growing season, I can see that they definitely need to be cut some more. There are a few lower branches that need to be removed, either because they are touching the house or because they are just hanging too low.

What I'm wondering is, am I okay to remove a few branches this time of year? Or do I need to wait until next year? (And try to remember which branches got in the way when it was in bloom.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would differentiate between NEEDING to remove branches ... because of harm to the house ..

and alleged proper pruning time ...

you can do some quick touch up any time ...

but do the most.. at the proper time...

ken

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:45PM
lazy_gardens

There are two ways to deal with this

1 - Do it now so you can check the effect as you prune.

2 - Mark the branches that need to go with a bit of twine around the base of the branch and do it later.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:52PM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Mmmm...."hot tall and mature"

That's how I like my myrtles too. :)

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:56PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sounds like the wrong tree in that location, to me. The need for pruning is only going to get worse as the tree matures.

Ideally, crapes shouldn't have to be pruned at all.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:30AM
NinjaPixie87(7)

Haha...I meant to type "how", not "hot". :-)

Snapped this pic last night.
I prefer to leave crape myrtles alone as much as possible (love the big natural look, hate all the butchering I see done), but some pruning is necessary. I'm afraid they're probably about as big as I can let them get, considering they are next to the house. :-(

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:22AM
NinjaPixie87(7)

...and this closer pic shows better where it's starting to touch the house. Not to the point of causing damage, but touching. (Most of what you see up against the house is the lady banks roses behind it...which also needs to get cut back.) I mostly want to take off the two little branches on the bottom left area that look to be about >2" dia. A few similar branches on the other one that I want to take off, too.

I'm thinking cutting a few smaller diameter branches probably won't cause any harm on these healthy trees. But I wanted to check and make sure I'm not totally off-base with my thinking. :-)

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™