Lumpy goldfish

bruce_ca(z10 and z8 CA)December 28, 2006

A whole bunch of our goldfish have these little bumps on them. The bumps are about the size of...BBs and don't seem to cause any drama for the fish. The comets are from 4"-6" or so and just seem happy as pie, but with bumps.

Any ideas what it is or if it's something I should worry about? Our pond is about 5k gal and well filtered (the water test always comes back with flying colors).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

Are the 'lumps' concentrated around the gills and white in color? If so, they are simply 'breeding stars' and will be visible on your male goldfish. When I first saw them on my goldfish, I was sure that they had some awful disease.

Pam

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 8:41AM
bruce_ca(z10 and z8 CA)

Nope. they're pretty randomly placed over the body of the fish.

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 11:57PM
horton(6 b Ontario.)

Bruce, goldfish can have little white bumps that are quite benign. You can often see these on fish in colder northern ponds after winter, but the bumps disappear as the water warms up.
There is a disease called Fish pox (also called carp pox or skin papilloma ).
Caused by a virus, it forms small white spots that are opalescent. These merge, causing large patches and later they turn reddish-grey, it mainly affects carp of which family, goldfish and koi are part of.
You could "Google" the names above, to find out more information on the disease.
OR.
Check on Koi Vet's site under "Lumps and Bumps".
It would be wise in any case, just to keep a close eye on the bumps.
"Horton"

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 2:13PM
marksharky

2 of my fish have 1 bump each, 1 on the head the other on the side of the body. No worries?

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 5:48PM
jalal(z3/Canada)

I have a shubunkin that had a large lump on it's side that just kept growing but the fish was fine. Tried quarantining the fish and treated with metromeds--bump went down a little but came back. Fish is about 4 yrs old now. However, some of my other goldfish--the wakins also got bumps so whatever the shubunkin has may be contagious. The shubunkin I left in the pond along with a couple of the wakins that had bumps--my test fish to see if they could survive the ice. Bubbler kept a hole open all winter but had the deep end covered with insulation. Don't know if the fish survived yet.

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™