Pink lilies without leaves

paulsiu(5a)March 15, 2012

Last year around fall, I notice that the neighbor's yard had these straight looking pink lilies on tall stalk with no leaves. They look kind of like they were stuck on.

Now in spring, I notice that the ground where the lilies are are sprouting leaves.

Any idea what they are? I am in zone 5a.

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

Lycoris squamigera, surprise lily, naked lady, belladonna lily. . . . and so on and so on.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:05AM
paulsiu(5a)

Ah,

I notice there are several types. Lycoris squamigera appears to be the only one that may be zone 5. Actually, it's not clear to me what zone they are. Some listing say 6 some say 5.

Anyone tried growing these and how difficult are they to grow?

Paul

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:34AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

L. squamigera is an easy bulb to grow, and I had patches of these in my yard in OH (5b). But for some reason, you have to "find" them at a donor location. I've never seen them for sale anywhere. I think it's because they grow "backwards" to all of the other "regular" bulbs, so they probably think shoppers wouldn't "get it." It's a shame because I'm sure spring is a fine time to plant them. Mine were given to me in mid-summer in full foliage. The bulbs didn't even seem to notice they'd been moved and stored in plastic bags for a week before replanting, even the first year. Maybe there are some in catalogs. From what I know, you are correct that this is the only Lycoris that is hardy to your zone. Maybe you & your neighbor could work some kind of swap. I know they multiply, but I don't know how long the process takes.

Down here L. radiata is extremely prevalent, probably considered a weed by most, but it's a quite a show when they are blooming everywhere for a couple weeks.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 12:02PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Fairweather gardens, a very fine mail order nursery, sells a range of Lycoris. Like Colchicums, which also produce foliage in spring and flowers in fall, all should be divided/moved right after the foliage dies back. Some Lycoris resent disturbance and may sulk for a year before they pop back.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 6:27AM
paulsiu(5a)

I talked with my local garden guy. He said they are available only in the fall and are quite expensive ($5 a bulb) since they are shipped from Japan. He indicate that this is growing season for them and they should not be disturbed, but in the fall they can dig up and replanted if I can convince my neighbor to give us some.

Can these be planted under the canopy of a silver Maple? Most bulbs do OK because they emerge before the Maple does, but I am wondering if it will be too dry.

Paul

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:36AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I have grown them in my garden and they survived for several years (at least until I moved and for all I know they may still be there.) So, they should be hardy enough for your garden. I really liked them, but currently don't have a garden where the color would work as it's a rather mauvy pink.

I got mine mail order, but as it was probably 20 years ago, I can't remember where. I know I've seen them more recently, so I'll rummage around and see if I can find where I saw them.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 9:36PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Fall is not the correct time to move them. They should be moved after the foliage has died but long before the flowers appear.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 6:48AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I think the shade under the maple would be too much, the leaves stay on until mid-summer. Mine were in a zero shade location. I never could get anything to grow under my silver maple and ended up putting a compost pile there.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 11:42AM
prairiegirlz5

I got some from my sister-in-law. She grows it in a pile of rocks, no kidding, but it looks very cool when it flowers. I have plans to move mine so they're planted among hosta, alongside daffodils. I think the spring tufts of leaves complement the daffodil bulbs' linear foliage, the hosta will cover any messy foliage left after the daffs bloom, and everyone will think the hosta flowers are huge! :)

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:52PM
dalelong73

People have asked where to get these. I have a big box of them that you may have. I live near Lititz PA

They are available today June 9, 2014

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Children's Lily Pond New Zealand Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Mat The Basics Flora Pink Rug
$813.00 | Viesso
Orange & Pink Abigail Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Palm Springs Block Sculpted Face Cloth - PINK (13X13)
$12.00 | Horchow
Retro Pink Giclee Shade 8/17x8/17x10 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Missoni Home | Ned Rose Duvet Cover
YLiving.com
Rizzy Home Pink and Yellow Polka Dots Bolster Pillow With Pleated Flange Decorat
$26.00 | Hayneedle
Ramblin Rose Antique Cream with Pink Six-Light Chandelier
$238.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™